Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Nature as Media






Justin, Richelle and I visited the Veterbrate Orgin exhibit and watched a documentary.




The synopsis of the exhibit was about: Animals with a backbone and a braincase. the first one which originated 500 million years ago fish arose, 150 million years ago animals walked on land and 360 millions years ago moved on land.






Pathos: the emotion I felt was that I was intrigued by everything I saw, they had every veterbrate evoulution dated back as far as 500 million years ago. They had an exhibit (that you can touch) for the back bone veterbrate to the model like egg with the amibion tight membrane. this exhibit was very interesting.



Ethos: The exhibitshands on feel to it really built up its ethos, it had many diagrams and models that we were able to touch and move around. They had the touch screen computers which allowed us access to any information about what was in front us. we actually felt involved with the exhibit and that s what made me like it so much!!!!!




Facts fom the movie include(Logos): PreHistoric Veterbrates were discovered by fossils(they included the characteristics of having brain cases, backbones, new jaws, four limbs, ambion which is water tight membranes. The first fish with a backbone was called a placoderm. they also spoke about the harsh destrutction of dinosaurs and that only birds have survived since that time. one fact that wasreall striking was that humans are worst than the dinosaurs when it comes to destroying the earth.
Answer to question 4:
The media form I chose is movies. Each and exhibit had a type of film or documentary to state a fact or an opinion about an exhibit. In my opinion movies influence museums by giving the audience a visual aid to an informative source. Since my group saw a lot of exhibits today
I chose the film on Veterbrates because it was the one that was most interesting. It showed actual 3d like forms of prehistoric land and sea animals. Ehey described what they looked like, how they evolved and what eventually caused their extinction. without the movie I do not think that an exhibit like Veterbrates would have really caught my eye. The movie was actually fun to watch. The film included special effects, and of course a good illustrtor to characterize each animals trait or description to a tee.